Ducks and ducklings drink a lot of water, so they need absorbent bedding that won’t get soiled and soggy quickly. The best beddings for ducks should be porous, mold-free, dust-free, and safe. It should prevent the brooding area from becoming sloppy and keep odors minimum.
In this guide, we are enlisting seven top-rated beddings for ducks. These bedding choices for duck coops come highly recommended on top retail sites. We have also included the best bedding for ducklings so you can keep your baby ducks safe and comfortable.
Winner: Standlee Hay Company Flock Fresh
- Absorbs moisture
- Attracts harmful compounds
- Neutralizes odors through ion exchanges
- Rereleases nutrients through composting
Standlee Premium Poultry bedding is the best choice for ducks since it is made of hay and sun-cured alfalfa, is 100% natural, and ducks usually do not feel tempted to eat it. Alfalfa encourages pecking behavior in your birds, so the bedding gets turned over and encourages a happy and healthy flock.
The hay-and-alfalfa-based duck bedding offers superior odor protection thanks to Clinoptilolite (Zeolite) Granules that absorb and lock in moisture.
Standlee Hay is specially made for chicken and duck coops. It attracts ammonia from ducks’ urine, locks it in, and neutralizes it, so your birds remain safe from the harmful effects of ammonia. Moreover, it’s environmentally sustainable, biodegradable, and compostable hay.
- All-natural duck bedding made with sun-cured alfalfa, mixture-absorbing Clinoptilolite (Zeolite) Granules, and chopped straw
- Locks in ammonia
- Biodegradable and compostable
- It is 2.0 cubic ft compressed and ten cubic feet expanded.
- Open the compacted bedding and lay it out. Allow the wind to blow away the dust before laying it in the coop.
Standlee Hay Company Flock Fresh is scientifically formulated and highly absorbent. It is made using a mixture of sun-cured alfalfa, natural straw, and zeolite crystals. These offer superior odor control and high absorbency. Most importantly, Standlee Hay Bedding locks the ammonia in, protecting your ducks from various health issues. The bedding is biodegradable and compostable, so your garden beds will benefit.
Best Absorbent Poultry Bedding – Kaytee Clean & Cozy Natural Bedding
- Odor Control Guaranteed
- 99.9% Dust Free for a Cleaner Cage
- Absorbs 5x its Weight in Liquid
- Safe for your Pet
Kaytee Clean & Cozy bedding is twice as absorbent as wood shavings and will keep your ducks’ brooding area nice and dry. It also promises superior odor control, so no more stinky coops!
Kaytee pet bedding also absorbs five times its weight in water, so you do not have to replenish it frequently. It is also 99% dust-free, so you always come to a clean cage.
- Absorbs two times the moisture than wood shavings
- It soaks up five times its weight in water
- 99% dust-free
- Wide-selection of colors, sizes, and scents
- Wood chip bedding is compostable
Place the bedding for two hours in the freezer before using. This will kill mites, if any.
Kaytee Clean and Cozy is soft and fluffy. It is also spotless and dust-free, so your ducks are assured of clean air in their coops. The bedding is also easy to use, and it keeps odors minimum. Moreover, it is compostable and absorbs five times its weight in water.
Best Overall – MagJo Pet Excelsior Aspen Shaving Nesting Liners
- 100% USA GROWN ASPEN NESTING LINERS: 12 Pack of our high quality 13" X 13" Aspen shavings nest liners
- HEALTHY NEST ENVIRONMENT: Aspen wood is much healthier for chickens than pine or cedar
- MAKE CLEANING THE COOP A SNAP: Each of our Aspen Nesting Liners has a Kraft paper backing that not only keeps the aspen shavings together, but also allows the droppings to fall down and become trapped by the paper
- IDEAL CUSHION FOR EGGS: Our Aspen Nesting liners create the ideal cushion for your hens and eggs, while allowing the dropping to
MagJo Aspen Shaving nest liners are made using aspen which is considered a highly suitable bedding material for poultry birds like chickens and ducks. It is made using aspen shavings grown in the USA.
The 100% safe bedding will make cleanup easier and create a very healthy environment in your coop for your ducks and ducklings. The soft and cushioning liners also make it easy to collect eggs, prevent them from breaking, and allow the droppings to gather at the bottom. This helps make cleanup a lot easier.
- Made in the USA with aspen shavings
- Each liner measures 13’ x 13’ – ideal for most nesting boxes
- Kraft-paper backing holds the bedding together
- Available in 3 convenient sizes 6, 12, and 40-pack
MagJo Pet Excelsior Aspen Shaving Nesting Liners are 100% natural and made using USA-grown aspen. Thanks to its low odor and low-dust formula, many chicken and duck coop keepers have loved this natural aspen bedding. It is also soft and fluffy and keeps duck eggs from breaking. The price is slightly higher, but the liners last for several months, an absolute value for money.
Best Budget – Precision Pet by Petmate Excelsior Nesting Pads
- EGGS STAY CLEAN AND DRY: Thin wood shavings draw moisture to the pad's paper backing, ensuring a clean, dry surface for fresh chicken eggs
- NESTING BOX-COMPATIBLE: Soft yet sturdy nesting box pads encourage chickens to lay eggs in a single place; pads fit inside Petmate Chicken Coop nesting boxes and most standard nesting boxes
- FLEXIBLE NESTING MATERIAL: Wood shavings on the surface of these chicken nesting pads can be easily modified by hens while still holding shape
- LESS BREAKAGE: Cushioned surface ensures comfortable chicken nesting and protects eggs from breakage
Precision Pet nesting pads/bedding by Petmate is made using unique moisture-absorbing technology that will keep your birds dry and comfortable and their eggs nice and clean. This affordable bedding is made using 100% biodegradable materials (aspen sourced from Great Lakes, made in the USA), so you can also compost it – making it suitable for your ducks and the environment.
- Brown paper backing collects moisture and keeps the nesting pad in place
- Unique moisture-absorbing technology
- 100% Great Lakes aspen – made in the USA
- Compatible with most nesting boxes – Each pad is 13 x 13 inches
Petmate brand has been making pet products for several decades and is a trusted name in the American Pet Industry. Their products are reliable and affordable. The same can be said for these Precision Pet nesting pads/bedding by Petmate. They are absorbent and compostable, easy to use, and fit standard nest boxes. Most ducks love sleeping on them, and they are reasonably easy to clean. They also last longer, which makes them pocket-friendly as well.
Best Low-Dust Duck Bedding – Happy Trees Premium Hemp Animal Bedding
- Give Your Pets the Poshest Pad - Our Premium Hemp Fiber is the highest quality bedding you can provide for your pets. Super warm, cozy and comfortable, Hemp Bedding is loved by a wide variety of animals big and small.
- Superior Properties - Hemp bedding is highly absorbent meaning less mess and less odor. A high thermal rating means your animals will stay warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Low dust means cleaner, fresher air to breathe.
- Longer Life = Less Expense - Hemp bedding lasts much longer than traditional paper and wood bedding materials making it the economical choice. When it does finally expire, hemp bedding makes great compost!
- Great for Pets and the Planet - Hemp grows super fast, needs very little water or fertilizer and no pesticides making it the eco-friendly and sustainable choice. Naturally Processed and free of chemicals and dyes.
Happy Trees premium hemp bedding is free from dust, so you and your ducks are safe from harmful allergens and the respiratory issues they could trigger. It uses the highest-grade hemp, which is sourced from European farms.
Happy Trees hemp best duck bedding also has a higher thermal rating, so your pets will be warmer in those chilly winters. It is also super absorbent, so there is minimum mold and mildew. The long-lasting hemp pet bedding is easy to use – lay down, spray, and turn over.
- Made using premium European hemp with a high thermal rating
- Weighs just 6.6 lb.
- Free from chemicals and dyes
- It is naturally processed, eco-friendly, and sustainable.
Happy Trees Premium Hemp Animal Bedding will keep your duck coop dry and warm. It will also prevent offensive odors. No more allergies and sniffles! Also, cleaning the coop will be easier. The affordable price of this long-lasting hemp bedding also makes it one of the best beddings for ducks on the market.
Best Bedding for Baby Ducks- Eaton Pet and Pasture, Naturally Grown Hemp Pet Bedding
- CLEAN & PURE. Our hemp is grown without pesticides or herbicides to ensure a completely clean and pure bedding. We ensure the very best for your furry family members.
- EFFECTIVELY ABSORBENT & HYPOALLERGENIC. Hemp absorbs 2x more than traditional bedding and stays dry much longer than other materials. Our bedding has no to low dust which is essential to limiting respiratory and other health risks.
- SUPER SOFT & COZY. Made from 100% naturally grown hemp, our bedding is far superior to wood shavings, paper, straw, corncobs, hay or any other heavily processed materials.
- SUSTAINABLE, BIODEGRADABLE AND COMPOSTABLE. One of the most sustainable plants on the planet so you can feel as great about your purchase as your pet.
Eaton Pet Pasture hemp bedding uses hemp naturally grown in NY in the USA, without pesticides and herbicides. Also, being entirely made of hemp, it is low in dust, which makes it hypoallergenic. Many people use it for their baby ducklings, and it is 100% safe, clean, and comfortable for them.
Eaton Pet Pasture hemp bedding is twice as absorbent as most pet beddings on the market. It is soft and cozy, and your baby ducks will surely love it. The eggs also remain cleaner. Eaton Pet Pasture hemp bedding also stays dry longer, so your coop will smell fresh, and you won’t have to replace the bedding too often.
- 100% naturally grown hemp – clean, sustainable, eco-friendly
- Made in the USA by a farmer-owned company
When you have baby ducks, the first thing to look for in bedding is safety. Eaton Pet Pasture hemp bedding is 100% natural and chemical-free. It is made in the USA and organically grown without pesticides. It also absorbs and minimizes odors. The fact that it is low-dust keeps it hypoallergenic as well. The price is on the higher side.
Best Safety Standards – Manna Pro Fresh Poultry Bedding
- All-natural & compostable pine shavings for coop bedding
- Low dust
- Ultra-absorbent low moisture shavings
Pine shaving bedding is safe for ducks, and Manna Pro poultry bedding uses the highest safety standards. This highly absorbent pet bedding undergoes heat treatment in a hands-free environment to ensure there is no bacterial contamination. Moreover, they are screened multiple times to remove dust. This makes it the best bedding for ducklings and duck brooders as well.
Manna Pro pine shavings are harvested from sustainable and eco-friendly forestry and are entirely natural and compostable.
- 100% natural pine shavings
- 12 x 16 x 14 inches – 3.5 cubic feet; can cover 18 to 22 sq. ft. at a 2″ depth. Item weight is 12 lb.
Manna Pro pet products have been around since the 1980s – they are well-known for their chicken coop products. You can trust this brand, and they pay the closest attention to safety. These pine shavings were screened multiple times to reduce dust and heat-treated to eliminate bacteria. Most ducks and their owners approve of it! The price is slightly on the higher side.
Ducks need good bedding to absorb the moisture and keep the coop dry. Here are some factors to consider when selecting the best beddings for ducks:
Straw, hay, pine, hemp, and aspen make good bedding choices for ducks. Avoid paper bedding since it gets moist and attracts mold. Ducks might also eat it. Also, avoid chips, paper, and wood shavings since young ducks might eat them and get sick.
Ensure that the duck bedding is free from dust, which could trigger asthma attacks in humans. Worse, dusty bedding can also harm ducks’ respiratory lining, causing wheezing and other health problems.
When answering the question ‘what is the best bedding for ducks,’ always consider the bedding’s absorbency. Ducks are very messy, and they drink a lot of water. The bedding for the duck coop should be highly absorbent so it remains clean and dry and reduces mold.
Always consider the bedding’s safety, especially when you think ‘what is the best bedding for baby ducks.’ Look for bedding that has undergone stringent safety tests and heat treatment to eliminate E.coli and salmonella. For baby ducks, it is essential to choose natural, chemical-free bedding. Avoid bedding made of shavings, paper, and chips that ducklings could eat and get sick from.
Yes, pine shavings for ducks are one of the safest bedding materials as they are natural and low-in dust. They won’t cause any respiratory issues in your birds.
- Can you use a straw for duck bedding?
Yes, straw is a great bedding material for ducks and baby ducks. It is readily available, inexpensive, low-dust, and won’t cause ducks’ health issues or respiratory problems.
- What is the best bedding for a duck brooder?
Pine shavings, straw, and aspen make good duck bedding material for brooders. They are low dust and keep odor minimal due to their high absorbency.
Avoid wood shavings, cedar, and newspaper bedding. Newspaper can harm your duck’s feet, and cedar gives off harmful fumes. Wood shavings can be hazardous if swallowed.
The best beddings for ducks consist of pine shavings, aspen, straw, or hay. These are safe and natural, low-dust bedding materials for ducklings and adult ducks.
We recommend the Standlee Hay Company Flock Fresh since it is scientifically formulated and absorbent. It uses a mixture of sun-cured alfalfa, natural straw, and zeolite crystals, offering superior odor control and high absorbency. Standlee Hay Bedding locks the ammonia in and protects your ducks from various health issues. It is compostable, so your garden beds will also benefit from it.
Check out our other recommendations as well.