For transporting rabbits to the vet or for air travel, the best rabbit carriers are a must. Rabbit carriers should be sturdy yet comfortable and also provide your pets with proper circulation and ventilation.
There are many different kinds of small pet carriers available on the market, but not all of them are suitable for rabbits. You certainly do not want to end up with a flimsy carrier that a rabbit could chew through. That is the last thing you’d want when traveling with your pet.
Worry not! We have six top-rated carriers for rabbits. We have also included their pros and cons so you can make an informed choice!
1. Editor’s Pick – MidWestHomes Hard-Sided Small Animal Carrier
- Hard Sided Dog Carrier | Spree is suitable as a "Toy" breed dog carrier, cat carrier, small bird carrier & small animal carrier for quick trips to the Veterinarian, pet store, dog park, etc..
- Dog carrier interior dimensions: 17.91L x 11.5W x 12H inches & doorway measures 7.16W x 7.63H inches, blue
- Pet carrier is available in 3 fun & fashionable colors & the design provides proper air circulation / visibility for your pet; Spree dog carrier is ideal for short trips
- Dog carrier made of durable, easy-to-clean plastic & includes built in carrying handle. Spree features a patented, quick & easy 5 step, no tools assembly. Our pet carrier assembles much easier than competitor carriers that use “nut & bolt” assembly
MidWest Homes is a popular brand well-known for its pet cages and carriers. This carrier is a winner in our books for the following reasons:
Firstly, it is the perfect size for average-sized rabbits. It is lightweight yet sturdy and a reliable carrier for those vet trips. The design of the carrier provides proper ventilation and circulation to your rabbits.
Secondly, unlike make bunny carriers that need a complex nut-bolt assembly, this carrier can be assembled in 5 easy steps without the need of any tools.
Thirdly, it is very easy to clean so your pets get a clean carrier always. Lastly, it has a built-in handle that makes it easy to carry.
- Two size choices 19” or 22” and multiple bright colors
- No tools assembly; instructions included
- Secure easy to open door opens in two directions
MidWestHomes Hard-Sided Small Animal Carrier is sturdy and durable. The 19-inch carrier can easily hold bunnies up to 7 lb. with room to spare. You can be confident your rabbit will be safe and comfortable in this durable carrier. It is easy to assemble and does not need any tools for assembly. It is also easy to lift thanks to its in-built handle. The price is also reasonable.
2. Best Overall – Amazon Basics 2 Door Rabbit Carrier with Top Load Facility
- Hard sided pet carrier for transporting a dog or cat to the vet or general travel
- Includes a carrier made of plastic with steel wire doors and screws that keep the top and bottom securely attached
- 2 doors for front and top entry promote easy access and loading of pets
- Top door swings open to the left or right and includes a top carry handle
The Amazon Basics 2-hole rabbit carrier makes it easy for loading multiple pets. If you have multiple rabbits, then you need this carrier for travel or for trips to the vet. It comes with 2 doors each having spring-loaded latches that let you access your rabbits easily. The great thing is that you can open the doors left or right. Its top-loading facility makes it easy to load and unload pets.
Amazon Basics 2-door rabbit carrier cage also has plenty of ventilation holes on the top, sides, and back of the cage. It’s easy-locking feature is an improvement over other bunny travel carriers with a similar style.
- Lightweight travel rabbit carriage weighing just 4.55 lb.
- 2-door features handle and latches that can be opened left or right
- Available in multiple sizes: 19, 23, 36, and 40 inches
- Constructed with heavy-duty plastic with a steel wire door on the front
Amazon Basics is well known for its quality products at affordable rates. This is a decent pet carrier for the price and it is great for rabbits. The 2-door top load facility makes it super convenient for trips to the vet.
3. Best Airline-Approved Rabbit Carry Case- ZaneSun Soft Side Pet Carrier
- [1.Size]:15.7" L x 7.9" W x 11.8" H Inch; 40 L x 20 W x 30 H CM;Perfect for small cats,puppy and small cat,fit perfect for pet lighter than 10lb; ideal for travelling, camping or around the house to provide your pet with a luxurious place to rest.
- [2.Light weight]:1.33 Pounds (0.6kg):This waterproof breathable pet carrier bag is made of 600D oxford material,giving your pet enough oxygen.At the same time rugged Oxford materials will ensure your use time and the safety of your pet.
- [3.Convenient design]:There's a side multifunctional pockets for toys or other things,and it also convenient for you to touch your pet.Removable mat inside avoiding shaking and easy to keep clean.
- [4.Easy to store&carry]: Carrying handles and adjustable padded shoulder strap, the travel bed is removable for easy washing,This Soft Sided Pet Taxi Easy Be Folded And Well Placed,Perfect for your Trip.
Soft-sided pet carriers are convenient for air travel as they are light and easy to carry. Airlines demand that the pet carrier should fit under the seat in front of you. ZaneSun soft-shell rabbit carrying bag meets this requirement, which is why it is approved for travel by major airlines.
ZaneSun Pet Carrier can be folded and stowed with ease when not in use. It also features multiple comfortable carrying straps. Its mesh panels enhance ventilation making it a comfortable rabbit transport carrier.
- Lightweight – just 1.33 lb.
- Made with durable, waterproof 600D oxford material,
- Small zippered pocket on the side for storage
- Half-zip openings on one end
- Carry strap plus shoulder strap
- Plenty of mesh for ventilation
- 8 color choices
ZaneSun’s soft-shell rabbit carriers are sturdy, well-made, and comfortable. They have excellent ventilation and their solid stitching enhances durability. The best part is that they are airline-approved and their price is reasonable as well.
4. Best Airline-Approved Bunny Carrier Backpack – Lollimeow Pet Carrier Backpack
- 🐱【Eye- catching Clear Window Design】Cats Love to Keep a Close Eye on Their Surroundings. Clear window makes it come true that cats are able to see everything and bring travel more fun.
- 🐱【Excellent Ventilation】9 large Ventilation Holes on both sides and front, left and right ventilation nets ensure fresh air for fur-kids.
- 🐱【Functional & Well made】The pet backpack is superior in materials and excellent in workmanship. Made with High-Quality Pet Safe Materials, Waterproof, Easy Clean and Lightweight. The pocket on the other side is nice to fill in pet snacks.
- 🐱【Be Close to You】You can carry the backpack in the front of your body. The little opening on one side is nice to reach in and pet her when she's nervous. Built-In security leash makes sure the safety.
Some of the safest pet carriers are backpack styled. They keep your rabbit close to you and also leave your hands free for other stuff.
Lollimeow rabbit carrier backpack comes with a transparent window so your rabbit can see everything. It also has 9 large holes for ventilation. The functional rabbit show carrier is made using high-quality pet-safe materials that are also waterproof. They are also airline-approved.
- Available in 8 colors; some have expandability options as well.
- 9 holes for ventilation.
- Side small-door flap to pet your buddy
- Shot handle for easy carrying
- Easily holds rabbits up to 13 lb.
- Airline-approved for under-the-seat storage
Lollimeow rabbit carrier backpack is going to earn you many compliments! It is sturdy and well-made and its transparent cover lets your rabbit see everything. The bag is available in attractive colors and traveling with your rabbit is sure to get easier with this backpack.
5. Best Rabbit Travel Cage – Kaytee Small Animal Pet Carrier
- Carry handle and large access door
- Washable, stain resistant and durable plastic base
- Includes optional perch for pet birds
- Available in assorted colors
Kaytee is a reliable name in the pet industry, especially for small pets. This rabbit travel carrier from Kaytee does not disappoint and has all the features you need to transfer your bunny safely.
It is chew-proof and sturdy and you also get three size choices – S, M, or L.
- Lightweight cage – weighs just 2.6 lb.
- Sturdy chew-proof plastic construction
Kaytee’s small pet carrier rabbit travel cage is not a permanent home for bunnies but is ideal for taking your pet to the vet or for short journeys in the car. Your rabbit will be safe and secure as the cage’s ventilation is excellent compared to other rabbit carriers. Its price is also less compared to many of the best rabbit carriers listed here.
6. Bonus: Henkelion TSA Approved Comfortable Small Pet Carrier
- AIRLINE APPROVED CARRIER - With airline-approved design, you can take your pet to go to everywhere. This pet carrier provides two connecting loop handles for balanced carrying as a dual seat belt or luggage strap to secure transport
- SAFETY DESIGN - The adjustable shoulder strap help you hands-free carrying and makes it more safe and convenient pet carrier bag for your travel
- DURABLE - This cat carrier is made of durable and lightweight polyester fabric. The four-side mesh will not only give a safe and comfortable travel for your pet, but also easy for you to check on your pet
- PORTABLE & FOLDABLE - This dog carrier is easy to carry and store, which has a padded shoulder strap and handles
Several features make Henkelion’s TSA approved bunny carrier sling bag a popular choice for airline travel with your bunny:
Firstly, it is TSA approved and most major airlines (excluding Southwest and Alaska Airlines) allow it. It comes with two loops for better balance when you carry your bunny across airports. Its luggage straps also keep you hands-free.
Secondly, it is very lightweight making for comfortable travel. You can place the bunny carrier sling on your person or over other luggage as per your convenience.
Thirdly, it features a breathable mesh entrance that lets your bunny breathe easily and also see you. The rabbit carrier is lined with a cozy woolen mat having a foam design to keep your bunny safe from bumps.
The large size is comfortable for rabbits up to 7 lb. while medium size is good for dwarf rabbits.
- Safety leash on the inside to keep your bunny more secure (use a harness)
- Sturdy ABS hooks and deluxe zippers
- 3-layer cozy mat
- Convenient side pocket
- Padded shoulder strap
- TSA approved design
Henkelion’s TSA-approved bunny carrier sling bag will keep your bunny safe and comfy for long-distance travel by air. It is airline-approved for most airlines. The rabbit carrier comes with several features that make it one of the best-rated rabbit carriers for air travel. Its price is affordable as well.
When you travel, you always pay attention to your transportation’s safety and comfort. The same is the case when it comes to picking the best rabbit carriers.
Here is how to choose a bunny pet carrier:
Your bunny should be able to comfortably sit and stand in the carrier. Ideally, the carrier should be 1.5 to 2 times bigger than your bunny’s size. That way; it will be comfortable for your pet to move inside without feeling cramped up.
If you are traveling over a long distance, the bunny travel cage should be able to hold food and water bowls as well.
If you own multiple bunnies and are flying or traveling over a long distance, it is best to house each bunny separately. Please buy separate carriers for each rabbit as you do not want your pets to feel claustrophobic and cramped up in close quarters.
There are different types of pet rabbit carriers. You can choose from hard, soft, rolling carriers, and even sling bags or backpacks. Avoid the flimsy cardboard carriers which can be chewed through. Soft side carriers are lighter in weight and are easier to carry. On the downside, they are harder to clean if there are liquid messes. Hard-side carriers are easier to clean and also more durable, but could be heavier and , sometimes, difficult to assemble.
Look for carriers with other features like multiple doors, comfortable handles, removable tops, etc. Most importantly, the carrier should have plenty of vents for circulation and ventilation. Many people prefer rabbit transport cages to have top access design to make trips to the vet easier.
The best carrier for a rabbit is one that is sturdy, well-ventilated, and will keep your bunny safe and secure. It should have a design that makes it easy to get your rabbit in and out of the carrier.
Try to entice your rabbit into the carrier by placing some greens or carrots in it. Never push your rabbit into the carrier as that could permanently scare it or make it averse to using the carrier.
Before you travel, get your pet to spend time in the carrier for a few minutes each day. Try to slowly extend the duration to several hours. Place plenty of treats, toys, etc., and make sure the carrier is placed in a clean, comfortable, and well-ventilated area.
Whether you’re looking for a rabbit travel carrier for a trip to the vet or the best airline rabbit carriers to take your pets by flight; the best rabbit carriers are necessary for the job. Look for bunny carriers that are sturdy, durable, and well-ventilated. They should be chew-proof and easy to clean.
We recommend the MidWestHomes Hard-Sided Small Animal Carrier since it is sturdy and durable. The 19-inch-sized carrier can easily hold bunnies up to 10 lb. with room to spare. You can be confident your rabbit will be safe and comfortable in this durable carrier. It is easy to assemble and does not need any special tools for assembly. It is also easy to lift thanks to its in-built handle. The price is also reasonable.