Are you looking for the best reptile thermostats to keep your reptiles (crested geckos, ball pythons, etc.) at a comfortable and accurate temperature range? Temperature control is extremely important when it comes to maintaining a reptile’s enclosure and impacts your pet’s health and well-being.
If you’re confused about what is the best reptile thermostat, this guide is for you!
Here, we are enlisting 10 of the best thermostats for reptiles that are accurate, easy to program and use, and very reliable. We are also enlisting their pros and cons so you can make an informed choice.
#1. Winner: BN-Link Digital Heat Mat
The BN-Link is considered the best reptile heat mat thermostat as it has several great features. No wonder, it is a best-seller among the best reptile thermostats.
First of all, it is very reliable and you can trust it to maintain the desired temperature accurately. This is very important whether you are keeping turtles or ball pythons.
Secondly, its setup is easy and intuitive, and all you need to do is add the probe, plug in the controller, and use the large display with buttons to set the desired temperature.
Thirdly, its rugged construction makes it ideal for all kinds of uses.
Check out some of its cool features:
- The temperature can be set in Fahrenheit and Celsius
- Simple 3 button control
- A long probe of 6-ft
- Temperature control range of 40-108 F
- If you get an error code (E3), simply unplug the unit and set it up again after a while. It should work properly.
If you have a heat mat for your snake or reptiles, then you need the BN-LINK digital thermostat. It is easy to set up and highly accurate. It is also reasonably priced at under $20. BN-Link’s customer support is great too.
#2. Best Reptile Heat Mat Thermostat- VIVOSUN Digital Heat Mat Thermostat
If you’re wondering what is the best reptile thermostat for a heat mat used in a reptile enclosure, then the VIVOSUN digital heat mat thermostat is a great choice.
It keeps your preferred temperature constant and displays temperatures in Fahrenheit and Celsius as well. It is also easy to set and adjust the target temperature with intuitive controls. The VIVOSUN digital heat mat thermostat also comes with clear LEd indicators for power and heating on modes.
- The temperature control range is between 40-108 F and the temperature display range is between 32-210 F
- Has a long power cord of 5.8 ft and a long probe of 6.4 ft
- Hexagonal construction for easy grip
- Compatible with North American standard electrical outlets
- Impact and vibration tested for safety of pets
- UL certified three-prong outlet that can support 1000W power
- Make sure you check the temperature with a temp gun if your reptile needs the exact temperature.
Compared to many reptile thermostats, the VIVOSUN is much cheaper. However, it does not have a memory function and that can be a major drawback for some users.
#3. Best Reptile Thermostat with Heating/Cooling – INKBIRD ITC 308 Thermostat
INKBIRD ITC308 is a versatile thermostat that can heat and cool control depending on the application. You can even use it to convert a freezer into a refrigerator.
For reptile owners, this thermostat is ideal for keeping the enclosure nice and toasty. It is easy to calibrate and its plug-and-play operation is easy as well.
- Displays centigrade and Fahrenheit
- Comes with high/low-temperature alarms
- Dual relay output and dual display window – set and measure displayed temperature at the same time.
- Storage temperature range between -4 and 140 F
- To set the temperature, hold the SET button down for 3 seconds and adjust. Then again hold the button for 3 seconds to set it.
The design of the INKBIRD thermostat is great and its accuracy is spot on. It also has a cooling option. The price is slightly on the higher side compared to our winning entry.
#4. Best Cheap Reptile Thermostat – iPowerGLHTMTCONTROL Thermostat Controller
For people who want a professional level of temperature regulation and control for their reptiles, this best reptile thermostat from iPOWER is available at an affordable price.
- Temperature control between 40-108 F and display range 32-140 F.
- Choice of Fahrenheit and Celsius display
- Status display for power and heating
To switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius, just hold the UP button for about 5 seconds.
iPower GLHTMTCONTROL Thermostat Controller is a beginner-friendly and affordable reptile thermostat. It is easy to set up and operate. iPower Store also provides excellent customer service – so, returns and exchanges are very easy.
#5. Best Digital Thermostat for Reptiles – Zoo Med ReptiTemp Digital Thermostat
ZooMed is a wonderful thermostat controller and one of the best reptile thermostats for terrariums. It comes with a temperature control range between 50 F and 122 F. It has a cooling mode as well and controls up to 150 W of cooling devices and up to 600 W of heating devices.
- Built-in memory to remember temperature settings
- Alarms (flash and sound) if the temperature is off
- Large LCD display
- 6-ft long sensor cable
- The Zoo Med ReptiTemp Digital Thermostat will even work on reptile racks and heat tubs. Just make sure that the tub isn’t over 600 W. Use electrical tape to fix the probe on the middle shelf.
Most users have loved the Zoo Med ReptiTemp Digital Thermostat. It works great, is easy to set up, and also has an alarm for too hot/too cold. The only downside is the display brightness which cannot be turned off. All in all, it is a great reptile thermostat.
#6. Best Day & Night Reptile Thermostat: Hagen Exo-Terra Day-Night Thermostat
Some turtle enclosures need the daytime temperature in the excess of 30 degrees and night no lower than 13 deg. For maintaining this varying range, the Hagen EXO Terra Day and Night thermostat is perfect.
- From 50 F to 140 F temperature range
- Ideal for use with heat mats, heat cables, heat bulbs, and ceramic lamps
- Has a long power cord of 6.2 ft.
- Blue LCD screen with easy-to-read display – both Fahrenheit and Celsius
To set day/night temperature, press and hold the Day or Night button for 5 seconds. To toggle between pulse proportional and dimmer, press the C/F button for 3 seconds.
The Hagen Exo-Terra is a reliable thermostat for those who need day and night temperature regulations. Its price may be on the higher side but it is value for money and guarantees peace of mind.
#7. Best Value for Money: Bayite BTC201 Temperature Controller
Whether you want an easy-to-program thermostat for reptile terrariums, seedlings, fermentation, beer brewing, greenhouse, etc., you’ll love the Bayite BTC 201 thermostat. It also has many safety features such as automatic power-on delay to protect the compressor. Most users felt that the BTC201 offers complete value for money thanks to its excellent customer service as well.
- Features independent heating and cooling toggling points
- Easily control single heating or cooling device
- Waterproof sensor
- high/low alarm
- 4 digital displays
- NTC 10K sensor probe with 3 ft cord
- Accurate up to +/- 0.5
Watch their YouTube video to understand the setup.
Great and dependable thermostat for driving a vent fan in reptile terrariums when things get too hot. It is slightly difficult to set up but the brand’s YouTube video explains it easily. Once you set it up, you will have a hassle-free experience. Total value for money.
#8. Best Wi-Fi Reptile Thermostat: MOES Smart WiFi Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat
MOES thermostat comes with a Wi-Fi feature that lets you control it with a SmartPhone. Check out its great features:
- Compatible with SmartLife or Tuya Smart APP for remote control; it sends alert notifications to your phone
- Temperature range between -22~221℉ / -30~105℃
- Can support 1250 W power
- Wireless frequency 2.4 GHz
- The temperature probe is around 6.55 ft
- Point your camera to the QR code given on the unit. It will immediately take you to the application.
Nowadays, we rely on our Smartphones for everything. Why not use the same for our reptile terrarium thermostat too? You can now ensure that your reptiles are nice and warm with this Smart thermostat from MOES. Its price of under $50 is reasonable too.
#9. Best Reptile Thermostat and Humidity Gauge: PetsPioneer Heat Thermostat and Humidity Controller
PetsPioneer reptile thermostat and humidity gauge will help you maintain the optimum temperature and humidity in your terrarium.
- Can be used with heat mats, heat lamps, and other heat sources
- Tropical and desert modes are available
- Day and night temperature control
- Memory battery for power failure memory function
- Temperature range – 0-50°F(32-122℉)
- The humidity display range is 10 -99.0%RH.
- LCD display with alarm signal
Watch their YouTube video for clarity.
Many users have felt that the PetsPioneer reptile thermostat and humidity gauge helped their cresties shed and molt much more easily. The humidity control and display create optimum conditions in the terrarium. The price is slightly on the higher side.
#10. Best Thermostat for Reptile Breeding: WACOOL Digital Rotation Thermostat
The rotation knob on the WACOOL thermostat makes it rather easy to use and set up. It is compatible with most heating and cooling systems and perfect for reptile breeding and incubation.
- Accurate up to +/- 0.1 degrees
- Temperature control range between 40°F and 112°F(5℃-45℃),
- Large display to show the current temperature, set temperature range, and working indicator
- Waterproof probe
- Alarm feature
- Make sure you hit the right mode. To heat or cool, you have to plug in the right device first.
Give your reptiles a controlled environment with the WACOOL rotating thermostat. It is easy to use and set up and also fairly accurate. Recommended for users who need a larger forgiving temperature range. The price is very reasonable too.
Here are some factors to consider when selecting the best thermostats for reptiles:
Consider the kind of reptile you are keeping. Most reptiles need a temperature range between 8-32°C/64-92°F. However, certain desert species may need a higher temperature. So, select a thermostat that can maintain the desired range.
The next thing to consider when answering the question ‘what is the best reptile thermostat’, is to consider the kind of heating equipment you use. There are thermostats that are versatile and can be used with heating mats, ceramic bulbs, heat lamps, etc. If you use a heat mat, then there are thermostats designed especially for use with them. You can also buy the best reptile heating pad with a thermostat so you do not need a separate unit.
If your reptiles need day and night temperature control as well as humidity regulation, look for a unit that offers these features as well.
The thermostat’s probe should be directly between the heat source and the enclosure if you have an under-tank heater or a UTH (also known as a heat tape or heat mat placed under the enclosure).
This placement works well because your reptiles won’t be able to move the probe. That way you’re assured of measuring the exact temperature of the mat.
Some people recommend placing the thermostat’s probe under the substrate. However, that could get dislodged by your pets, in which case, if the temperatures rise dangerously, could overheat the enclosure.
The best reptile thermostats are accurate, easy to program, easy to set up, and also sturdy. They should also be able to precisely maintain the desired range of temperature for your reptile enclosure.
We recommend the BN-LINK digital thermostat because it is easy to program and fairly accurate. It is also reasonably priced at under $20.
Do check out our other recommendations as well.